Thursday, September 1, 2011

In the annals of epic tone-deafness

I laugh out loud whenever I hear Arizonans call Californians weird. Here's why: The Pima County GOP ― the electoral district where Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot ― is holding a raffle to raise money. What is the super-duper prize being offered? A brand new Glock, baby. I kid you not. The ad reads: "HELP PIMA GOP GET OUT THE VOTE! Get yourself a new Glock 23 .40 cal handgun for just ten bucks. That's right, for just ten dollars this gun could be yours ... the firearm comes with three 12-round magazines, adjustable grips, and a case. Tickets will go fast for this firearm!" And no, this ad wasn't written by The Onion. The sheer insensitivity of it all just leaves me breathless. Albert Einstein was quite right when he said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Neither am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment