Thursday, September 8, 2011

Androgynous Zone

Remember "Pat," the androgynous character played by Julia Sweeney on Saturday Night Live? He/She/It came to mind when I spied the photo of a Rice University professor (left) who is evidently doing great work in boosting cell phone reception. (hooray!) I was like, hmm, is this attractive, intelligent-looking person a he or a she? I simply couldn't tell from the photo alone. Before reading on, can you honestly tell? The professor's Indo-subcontinental name, Ashutosh Sabharwal, didn't really help (though it hinted male). Amusingly (and maddeningly), the TPM article gave no hint of gender until the twelfth paragraph. Cue the drum roll, please: Professor Sabharwal is a he. Only after learning that fact did I go, yeah ― of course it's a guy. And in person, I'm sure his gender is obvious. But it ain't from the picture, not at first glance. Bottom line: It's Pat! ― sorta. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment