Tuesday, September 6, 2011

You're welcome

To his credit, Andrew Sullivan, who called Obama "King Barack I" for intervening in Libya, had to sit down to a meal of crow today. (By my count, he has plenty of company at the table.) Here's how I imagine Obama might respond to Sullivan's mea culpa, point by point:

"Qaddafi is now out of power." [Obama: Yeah, how 'bout that? I told everyone six months ago: Chill, I got this.] "I opposed the war and worried it would become a long and civil one." [Obama: Except it didn't. But I won't gloat - much. Heh.] "I remain unconvinced that we did the right thing [Obama: hey, it's a free country], and concerned that the consequences of this will still be ugly, or less damaging to human lives than non-interventionism would have been." [Obama: Really, Sully? Worst than leaving Qaddafi in power and allowing him to massacre everyone in Benghazi?] "Nonetheless: Obama asked for patience, defended his new 'lead-from-behind' strategy with the allies, and the NATO campaign has succeeded in its core task." [Obama: Toldja. And by the way, I wasn't leading-from-behind. I was leading behind the scenes. There's a big difference, people.] "... I'll remain suspicious of what lies ahead and dismayed by the imperial manner in which this war was launched." [Obama: Um, hello? It's me, Barack, remember? I don't do foolish. And imperialism isn't my thing. That was the other guy.] "But credit where it's due." [Obama: You're welcome.]

No comments:

Post a Comment