Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life is short

As a writer, I'm never far away from an online dictionary or thesaurus (I rarely bother with the dead tree versions anymore). The Merriam-Webster website is one of the best despite their overuse of social media gadgets. Today, I was checking the precise meaning of the adjective "ritual' when I spied 4 comments from Facebookers. (Why comments appear on the site at all is beyond me, but never mind.) Janet asked, "Are 'habit' and 'ritual' synonymous? If not, what is the difference?" (Memo to Janet: Try scrolling up your browser. I'm sure Merriam-Webster can clear up the mystery.) For no particular reason, Adhc03 informed us that he/she was "preparing for a sermon." Um, excuse me, but are people so desperate for attention that they'll prowl dictionary sites just to comment on a random word? Sure, it's harmless. But, gee whiz, folks -- life is short. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment