Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The tyranny of the social network

I was perusing Time when I saw it again, for what, the 10th time today? It sits near the top of most articles, seemingly spinning, like a tiny black hole. On the page I happened upon, I learned "629 people like this." Is that important, I wondered? Then I began to feel its gravitational pull. The omnipresent "Like" icon beckoned me to click it. C'mon, "Like Me," it seemed to whisper ... [FLASHBACK: 1968. Saigon. I'm soaked from the dank, humid air. Can hardly breathe. The last mournful notes of Jim Morrison's "The End" waft from the Blue Lagoon Club. And Suzie Q is still behind me: "Me so horny Joe. I 'Like' you long time. Only five dolla. 'Like' me Joe!" Damn. Every minute I stay here, I get weaker. But every minute Charlie squats in the bush, and gets stronger ... ] Oops. Sorry. Fever dream. What was I saying? Oh yeah, the tyranny of "Liking." Have we gone nuts? I can almost forgive Time and its brethren for pimping themselves out. After all, they're in it for the money. But I worry about a society potentially filled with individuals who may never read something because nobody "Liked" it. Talk about Apocalypse Now. Oh no. I'm slipping again ... [FLASHBACK: "Saigon ... shit; I'm still only in Saigon. I'm here a week now ... waiting for a mission ... getting softer ..."] Sorry. I'm back. Fortunately, most folks probably ignore the "Liking" business. They're too busy Facebooking and rarely leave for the greater Web. Which gives them something in common with the former habits of a former foe. "Charlie don't surf."

No comments:

Post a Comment