Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Barbour makes a U-turn, sorta

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour is catching well-deserved flak for casting white segregationist groups in a positive light during the Civil Rights Era.

Backtracking, he issued this clarification today:
"My point was my town rejected the Ku Klux Klan, but nobody should construe that to mean I think the town leadership were saints, either. Their vehicle, called the ‘Citizens Council,’ is totally indefensible, as is segregation. It was a difficult and painful era for Mississippi, the rest of the country, and especially African Americans who were persecuted in that time."
Question: Does Barbour regularly go all Thurgood Marshall on his Southern Republican donors when he's knocking back bourbon & branch water with them at the governor's mansion? Yeah, right -- I don't think so, either. Action speaks louder than words, Boss Hogg. And, so far, all I see is your mouth moving. Try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment