Sunday, December 26, 2010

Do we have a ‘Twitter problem?’

Princeton professor Melissa Harris-Perry poked fun at herself during a recent interview on Rachel Maddow’s talk show. She confessed to having “a Twitter problem.” That is, constant tweeting has nearly become a way of life, and maybe a little out of control. I chuckled, thinking of my own past tweeting habits. Recognizing the Twitter trap some time ago, I’ve cut way back and try to keep my modus operandi in line with Disraeli: “The choicest pleasures of life lie within the ring of moderation.”

Now, if ever there was a day to relax, commune with family or friends or do whatever it is that floats your particular boat in the *real* world, Christmas Day is it. Surely not many people just tweet it away, right? After briefly scanning the headlines online, I dipped my toe into Lake Twitter. I was expecting quiet. Instead, it was like a beer-soaked Spring Break party. I follow some 124 people, mostly journos and pundits. Christmas Day unveiled the Twitterholics. Those passing around the bottle on the party boat included Salon’s Joan Walsh, The Nation’s Greg Mitchell (I don’t think he ever sleeps), the Washington Post’s Ezra Klein, GQ’s Ana Marie Cox (who has 1.4 million followers!), Mediate’s Rachel Sklar and ever-present film critic Roger Ebert waxing neurotically. And yes, Harris-Perry. I ran screaming from the room and quickly unplugged my iPad.

For good or ill, that’s life in the 21st century as many of us now know it. Social networks have clearly shown us that the need to share is compulsive. And Twitter, the digital version of Dr. Feel Good, can fill your prescription 365 days a year, 24/7. Maybe it is symbiotic. Maybe it acts as a healthy, societal relief valve. But I am reminded of what Tacitus once said about something we perhaps offer too easily today via social networks: “Candor and generosity, unless tempered by due moderation, leads to ruin.”

No comments:

Post a Comment