Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Poor choice of words

Let me state up front that The New Republic's Jon Chait is not sexist. No way, no how. I wouldn't read him if he were. Still, this headline-link on his blog speaks volumes about the unconscious male mind: "WaPost: Bachmann shacked up with Uncle Sam for federal home loans." Was the use of "shacked up" really necessary? Here's the Urban Dictionary take on the expression: "To move into shared accommodation with someone, generally of the opposite sex for purposes of sexual intercourse. As in: I'm shacked up with a few sheilas." I'm almost certain that Chait's innuendo was/is unintentional. He probably spent all of a nanosecond assembling the words for his headline. But as much as it pains me to say it, Bachmann and Palin have a point when they complain that the media deck is stacked against them as females. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment