Friday, October 22, 2010

Firing Juan, Redux

As the Washington Post's Greg Sargent noted on his blog this morning, Juan Williams finally said what his hyperventilating critics wanted him to say: Yes, it's wrong to judge on Muslim garb alone.

In an article he penned late yesterday, he wrote:
"Yesterday NPR fired me for telling the truth. The truth is that I worry when I am getting on an airplane and see people dressed in garb that identifies them first and foremost as Muslims. This is not a bigoted statement. ... In a debate with Bill O'Reilly I revealed my fears to set up the case for not making rash judgments about people of any faith. ... And I made it clear that all Americans have to be careful not to let fears lead to the violation of anyone's constitutional rights."
As I've said previously, Williams is no bigot. The good, over-sensitive folks at NPR overreacted by firing him. Now, of course, the Washington press corps is using him as a political piñata in our incessant war of liberal v. conservative. I say, enough. Leave the guy alone and, as Sargent aptly put it, "let him get on with his life as a full-blown, out-of-the-closet Fox News personality already."

No comments:

Post a Comment