Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Straight Eye for the Queer Guy

The headline, of course, is a play on the title of that curious TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," which was all the rage back in the day. Anyway, about the picture (left): I lifted it from Tom Ricks blog. Ricks, military author and columnist for Foreign Policy magazine, applauded the Pentagon's (temporary) decision to allow openly gays into military service. So do I. He added the obviously Photoshopped pic for fun.

And instinctively, I chuckled at the photo - a parody of supposed gayness. But then it occurred to me that we heteros (especially us male heteros) need to grow up, and fast. The photo, like the all too common phrase "that's so gay," is stereotypical. And that's no laughing matter. Just something to chew upon, my noble friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment