Saturday, October 23, 2010

I, Narcissist

I was skimming Romenesko (a popular blog aimed at journalists) today when a headline caught my eye: “TV reporter Lu Parker plays by her own set of rules.” The name rang a distant bell. In a click, I was deposited at the LA Times website.

The article reported:
“The KTLA reporter is dating L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, advocating for causes and promoting herself in ways that critics say is a problem for her professional reputation.”
Ding! Oh, her.

The LA Times piece duly covers her celebrity romance with LA’s perpetually tanned, Hollywood handsome, “I-Can-Hardly-Wait-To-Run-For-President” mayor; her glam photo-filled website (luparker.com), her sexy bikini photos and how said behavior (all of which screams: LOOK AT ME!) impacts her job as a “journalist.”

Appalled critics say she's trading on her hot looks, fame and mayoral hook-ups. Parker’s response? “I’m not posing nude or doing anything salacious.” Besides, she maintains, it’s the standards of that media that need changing, not hers. Hey, it’s all about the branding, baby. And the times, they are a changin'. Villaraigosa smartly declined comment. (The now divorced major blew up his marriage in 2007 with his extramarital affair with KVEA-TV reporter Mirthala Salinas. Parker is his second, um, foray into intimate “journalism.”)

"It speaks to the evolving standard of journalism," journalism professor Loren Ghiglione told the LA Times. "Lu Parker is creating a brand, hustling herself and her book. Her station should be nervous about the presence of her with a newsmaker on her website."

"I've never felt more fulfilled in my life," Parker, 39, gushed to the LA Times. "I'm in a great relationship; I have an amazing family and amazing friends. I love my job. Things are great!"

Shakespeare’s King Henry said, “By being seldom seen, I could not stir. But like a comet I was wondered at.” And Lu Parker is a wonder to behold. And she’s hardly the lone narcissist in the galaxy of TV journalism. (Think Rick Sanchez or Sean Hannity.) In Parker’s case, all one can really do is shrug, and say: Work it, sister. You've only got 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment