Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Don't tick off Peggy

HELL HATH NO FURY like Peggy Noonan scorned. The conservative Wall Street Journal (and ex-Reagan speechwriter) hates former SecDef Donald Rumsfeld's new book, "Known and Unknown." You know you're in trouble when Noonan begins with, "I like Donald Rumsfeld."

She continues:
"I've always thought he was a hard-working, intelligent man. I respected his life in public service at the highest and most demanding levels. So it was with some surprise that I found myself flinging his book against a wall in hopes I would break its stupid little spine...Known and Unknown, his memoir of his tumultuous time in government, is so bad it's news even a month after its debut. It takes a long time to read because there are a lot of words, most of them boring. [...] But the terrible thing about the Rumsfeld book, and there is no polite way to say this, is the half-baked nature of the thinking within it. The quality of analysis and understanding of history is so mediocre ..."
Ouch. Sadly, Noonan's op-ed is behind the Journal's paywall. (Hat tip: Tom Ricks)

No comments:

Post a Comment