Thursday, April 21, 2011

The cost of 'birtherism'

Andrew Sullivan on the birther insanity: "I have to say that this kind of thing has alienated me profoundly from the GOP even though on some questions, I am exactly the sort of fiscal conservative they might appeal to. It's been clearer to me than ever before in the reaction to president Obama just how hostile the Republican base is to modernity and the diverse America I find one of this country's greatest strengths and joys. It's not the policy positions so much as the tone - toward Latinos, toward gays, toward anything that might be called "the other." Nothing taught me this as much as the easy embrace of torture, and indifference to it, as long as the president was a Republican and the victims had dark skin and funny names. The GOP as a cultural entity has made me nauseous." And I'd say at least half the country and more than a few Republicans agree with Mr. Sullivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment