Friday, March 18, 2011

Nuclear burnout

Don’t get me wrong. To use an overwrought phrase, my thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people. They really are. But my interest in their nuclear crisis is waning despite relentless news coverage of it. Part of it is due to my utter confusion about what’s really happening there. The media have been spectacularly unhelpful with its evolving, conflicting reports. Part of it is due to my utter ignorance about how nuclear reactors work, especially when things go awry. The media have been spectacularly unhelpful here, too, despite their slick, explanatory graphics. I’m also, in part, turned off by the sensationalization of the crisis by the media. And, yes, part of the reason for my dwindling interest is due to sheer news fatigue. But that’s just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment