Wednesday, March 30, 2011

For mom and apple pie

Time's Joe Klein is traveling overseas. He's been repeated embarrassed by having to explain how two Republican candidates -- men who (theoretically, in a galaxy far, far away) could be president -- can be so, well, stupid.
Newt Gingrich: "I have two grandchildren. I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they're my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."

Herman Cain: "There is this creeping attempt, there is this attempt to gradually ease Sharia law and the Muslim faith into our government."
Islamic radicals? Sharia law? In America? I agree with Joe. Both fellows need to get back on their meds, quick. "This is my 10th presidential campaign, Lord help me. I have never before seen such a bunch of vile, desperate-to-please, shameless, embarrassing losers coagulated under a single party's banner. They are the most compelling argument I've seen against American exceptionalism," writes Klein.

I, like Klein, disagree with the politics of Jeb Bush and Mitch Daniels. But I, like Klein, certainly respect these Republican adults (I would add Jon Huntsman to the line-up). The GOP would be wise to run them in 2012, if only as a warm-up act for 2016. While I am loathe to encourage the opposing team, I put America before partisan politics. A fair fight between rational Republicans and Democrats is good for the nation. So, I'll join Klein in his plea. Jeb, Mitch, Jon: For the love of God, mom, apple pie, "Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt," run. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment