Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bracing for a long election

With a recovering economy at his back, I still suspect President Obama will sweep the floor with whichever GOP opponent emerges to face him in Nov. 2012. I still suspect that opponent will be Romney (or possibly Pawlenty). With those near givens, the media -- in a desperate search for melodrama -- will therefore focus almost entirely on the Republican field during the run-up to Election Day. If Palin joins the fray, that's all they'll focus on (until she loses the nomination). I'd prefer having root canal over watching this forthcoming spectacle. This is when being as rich as Bill Gates would come in handy. Wouldn't it be nice provision a 70-foot yachting sloop for say, 8 months, and set sail for Caribbean waters on Jan. 30, 2012, one day before the first GOP primary (Florida)? On this cruise, cell phones and laptops would be strictly verboten. Stopping in say, Martinique, in August 2012, I'd re-provision for another 2 months or so. Before departing Fort-de-France, I'd drop by the local beachcomber inn, learn who won the GOP nomination, drain my last Mojito, and then head back to sea. I'd end my Caribbean wanderings on Election Day just in time to vote. Well, a guy can dream, can't he? Short of winning the lottery, this is going to be a long election cycle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment