Friday, January 14, 2011

When incivility is justified

I share David Corn's disgust over Rush Limbaugh's on-air remark that Tucson killer Jared Loughner "knows ... he has the full support of a major political party [read: Democrats] in this country."

Corn concludes that Limbaugh is either a "panderer-for-profit or nutcase." I'd argue that he is both.

Corn writes:
"Obama is correct: To advance the national interest, Americans must mount rigorous debates in the best terms possible. But you cannot have an honest debate with a mud-thrower. (My father used to tell me, there's no fair fight with a skunk.) Those who purposefully undermine reasonable and necessary discourse do not deserve a pass in the name of civility. Limbaugh, as he so often has done, resorted to extreme rhetoric and a big lie in an attempt to undercut or destroy a political adversary. He made a dark week even darker."
I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment