Sunday, January 16, 2011

State of mind

Amy Silverman, managing editor of Phoenix New Times, has a terrific op-ed in the Washington Post today. Examining the Tucson shootings from a sociological perspective, she poses a straightforward question: “What's the matter with the 48th state?” She believes that a curious “culture of isolation” is at the root what ails Arizona. I can attest to Silverman’s observations. They’re spot on, and I suddenly understand this place much better than I did yesterday. I can depend upon both laughter and disbelief when I tell friends here that I consider myself a Californian living in Arizona, an expatriate, if you will. They don’t realize I’m being serious. Oddly, this place has never really felt like home (though it is a nice place to live). Thanks to Arizona native Silverman, I think I know why now.

No comments:

Post a Comment