Saturday, January 15, 2011

McCain abandons 'Gran Torino'

From Sen. John McCain's Washington Post op-ed yesterday on Obama's Tucson speech:
"I disagree with many of the president's policies, but I believe he is a patriot sincerely intent on using his time in office to advance our country's cause. I reject accusations that his policies and beliefs make him unworthy to lead America or opposed to its founding ideals."

"We are Americans and fellow human beings, and that shared distinction is so much more important than the disputes that invigorate our noisy, rough-and-tumble political culture. That is what I heard the president say on Wednesday evening. I commend and thank him for it."
These words echo the moderate, sane McCain of the distant past, a time before he became the angry "Gran Torino" guy capable of only shouting "get off my lawn!" Is the senior senator from Arizona finally walking back from the brink of political oblivion? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment