Friday, November 19, 2010

An offer I can't refuse

TO PARAPHRASE Michael Corleone in Godfather III, "Every time I try to get out, SHE keeps pullin' me back IN!!"

Yes, noble friends, Sarah Palin has jumped the shark yet again, obliging me to lift my Palin Blackout if only for a moment.

Apparently Palin’s new book is due out soon. The Washington Post, which got its hands on an advance copy, described it this way: “Take a Sarah Palin stump speech, expand it to 272 pages, and you've pretty much summed up America By Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag."

Swell.

But that’s not why I’m bothering with this post. It’s one precious excerpt from the tome that nearly knocked me out my chair.

It seems, per the Post, Palin hates “talentless wannabes.” I kid you not. To wit:
"Did you ever wonder where the producers of 'American Idol' come up with the seemingly endless supply of people who can't sing but are deluded enough to get up in front of a national television audience and screech out a song anyway? ... These self-esteem-enhanced but talent-deprived performers eventually learn the truth."
Oh the irony. Metaphorically speaking, Sarah Palin just gave us a pitch-perfect description of Sarah Palin, and she is too clueless to realize it. If anyone is spectacularly “deluded” and “talent-deprived,” it’s her. The mind reels.

But like Don Corleone’s weariness of endless fighting, I tire of this endless waste of digital ink. And like Sollozzo, I’m a “businessman”; snarkiness is a big expense. It's enough to make me want to arrange a meeting with the heads of the Five Families. Maybe together they can put a cork in Palin’s mouth so I can stop writing about the nonsense that comes out of it.

-------------
UPDATE: A pair of tweets from a couple of hours ago. Just reinforces my arguments. Enjoy.

@SarahPalinUSA - Sarah Palin: The publishing world is LEAKING out-of-context excerpts of my book w/out my permission? Isn't that illegal?

@davidfrum - davidfrum: That last tweet by @SarhPalinUSA sums up in 140 characters why this person should never be allowed any authority over any police force ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment