Monday, November 29, 2010

Face the Music

“If it’s Sunday, it’s Meet the Press.” It isn’t for me, not anymore. After tiring of the vapid, predictable answers given by political guests in response to vapid, predictable questions posed by moderators on Face the Nation, Meet the Press, This Week and whatever it is Fox News offers, I gave the Sunday talk shows a rest in August. I’m still resting. Not once have I felt compelled to resume my regular viewing habits. And, it turns out, I’m none the worse for wear. Not only am I a saner citizen for turning off the Nation/Press/Week spigot, I’m practically doing cartwheels in my newfound freedom.

I’m an avowed political junkie, god help me. That the Sunday shows no longer appeal to the likes of me speaks volumes. Once upon a time, they provided valuable insight into the grand issues of the day. Today, they are little more than echo chambers for political platitudes designed for and consumed by Washington insiders. Evidently, this tiny audience is enough to keep these shows on the air. I can’t imagine that is sustainable. At some point, Face the Nation et al will have to face the music. But I’ve crossed the Rubicon. For me, if it’s Sunday … I’m doing something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment