Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cellular nirvana, almost

IMAGINE owning a superfast smartphone that also runs a superthin laptop. When connected, everything you can do on your cell, you can do on your laptop - only better. Your laptop has a full screen plus a normal keyboard plus "always on" Internet access via your Wi-Fi phone. Think of the convenience on a plane or commuter train. The laptop will even charge your phone's battery. And on top of all that, the phone and laptop are drop-dead gorgeous. Think slick, black, brushed-aluminum. Guess what? I've just described the Motorola Atrix 4G (Android) and its companion laptop. It's real. As I read David Pogue's review in the New York Times, I kept thinking of that classic restaurant scene in When Harry Met Sally. After Sally (Meg Ryan) loudly faked an orgaism, a fellow diner tells her waiter, "I have what she's having." Me, too. But while reaching for my wallet, I thought: Wait -- this seems way too good to be true. Alas, it was. As Pogue notes, there are "a few flies in the Atrix ointment." Read about them here. Still, the idea is a fantastic one. Text me when they perfect it. Check, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment