Thursday, December 8, 2011

'Tebowing' on the Lord's gridiron

There's a big (albeit odd) debate on the Daily Dish blog about Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow's open display of religiosity (i.e., "tebowing") on the gridiron. Some applaud his prayerful sideline proclivities. Others condemn them as misguided grandstanding. Personally, I'm indifferent. If Tebow wants to publicly fly as JC's wingman on any given Sunday, that's his business. I am mystified, however, about why no one is asking the obvious question: What, pray tell, is Tebow actually asking of the Almighty when he takes a pious knee between offensive plays? Somehow, I doubt he is beseeching the Lord to watch over the destitute children in America's slums as the clock ticks down to the two-minute warning. Granted, I could be wrong. Tebow could indeed be Mother Theresa in shoulder pads and tights. But would anyone like to bet against my guess that most of Tim's "Tebowing" is some variation on: "Please, God, help me connect with [insert name of millionaire receiver] in the endzone before the Vikings score another touchdown?" And this of course presumes the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are rabid NFL fans who take a particularly divine interest in the Denver Broncos, their playoff chances, and their (overrated) quarterback. So, place your bets right here, folks. Surely I'm reading Tebow all wrong, right? Don't be shy. C'mon, I'll even give you 2-to-1 odds. What, still no takers -- ye of little gridiron faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment