Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Catholic Deer Hunter

Yesterday, Romney's VP pick Paul Ryan told Pennsylvania voters that he's a "Catholic deer hunter." What does that mean? Is he saying that blowing away Bambi for sport is a blessed activity? I don't know. Not stopping there, Ryan then proclaimed, "I am happy to be clinging to my guns and my religion." Again, meaning what? Besides the tired dig at a comment Obama made over 4 years ago, does Ryan believe guns and religion go together like bacon and eggs? Perhaps the pairing of Christians and Crusades, 12th century-style, is what he's thinking. Again, I don't know. I do know that Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers." But that notion may conflict with religious gun-clinging. But who knows? It's tough getting inside the heads of Catholic deer hunters. Still, I know what Mahatma Gandhi said: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Is Ryan living proof of that? I dunno. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment