Friday, February 17, 2012

And then there was Lin

I won't bother getting too deeply into Lin-mania. Culturally schizophrenic America (it has something to do with our social-networked hive mind) careens from obsession to obsession. Jeremy Lin, overnight superstar, is merely our latest infatuation. As Mr. T would say, I pity the fool. For what goes up must come down. He's the flavor of the month. And, trust me, the taste won't last. As a Harvard grad, however, Lin is smart enough to start cashing in on his 15 minutes. On that score, I wish him good hunting and big bucks.

On the other hand, I have no idea of what to make of a bloke who, when asked about the highest compliment someone could pay him, says: "When I see Jeremy play, I see him play for God.” Um, right. I'll simply take the fifth, senator, on the grounds that any commentary I may offer will tend to incriminate me.

I do, however, fear that Lin is living in a fantasy world when it comes to women. He described his ideal "babe" to the New York Post: "First she would really love God and be a faithful Christian, and then after that, I think, a desire to serve other people, to help with the underprivileged, do a lot of social work ... great personality and easy to be around. Someone that’s definitely chill, low key, low maintenance."

If it floats your boat, hooking up with a Christian woman is fine. But the rest of it? A hot-looking but earnest do-gooder with a "great personality" who is also low maintenance? Really? Keep dreaming, bro. God is merciful, but not that merciful.

No comments:

Post a Comment